Quote of the Day

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Election peaves

With the new election year nearing, I'm reminded of the things that irritate me about voters. As a minority, I know the importance and significance of voting. Regardless of what the media says, your and my vote do count.

But, as the political rhetoric spins on television and cable, I can't help but think of all the things that get under my skin in an election year. Not the politicians mind you, they're in a category all their own, but every Jane and Joe that can vote.

What is it that irritates me so? Let me share.

Election Peave #1: The single issue voter
That's right. Nothing irritates me more than the voter who votes for a party or candidate based on one single platform. Don't get me wrong, any single issue can have a dramatic impact on the lives of individuals. But, to narrow down your vote when there are a number of important factors that impact you and others, is quite simply stupid. I could use more 'pc' terminology, but it's my blog and I don't care.

Election Peave #2: Historical voter
What's a historical voter? Someone who votes a certain way because that's what they've always done. They don't look into where their particular allegiances are today, only what they've done in the past. Political parties have changed and your momma's party isn't what it used to be.

Election Peave #3: The 'I'll show you' voter
These irritate me to no end. You know these folks. The ones that vote for one candidate because they don't like the other. Oh, you showed him. Come on, grow a life. Find a candidate that you believe and vote. Don't just vote for someone because you don't like the opponent.

Election Peave #4: Trusting voter
There are far too many of these around these days. It's quite odd actually, seeing that the level of government skepticism has increased. But, too many voters don't do their research. They listen to only one side of the story, or one media outlet to make a determination. We all know that media bias exists, so get off your duff and research the issues.

No comments: