Quote of the Day

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Weird dreams

I've heard it said before, that weird dreams are usually a part of pregnancy. I can't recall any dreams out of the ordinary, if I can even say that, when I was pregnant with Isa. My memory isn't what it used to be so I'm guessing I had a few here and there.

Last night, however, I had a dream, or set of dreams that kept me from sleeping soundly. Not anything freaky or anything. They just got my mind racing. Of course, I'm not sure I would qualify the dreams as weird, but I wanted to mention them since they got my mind racing.

Anyway, my first dream of the set I believe was a direct result of me watching Raymond Blanc's The Last Restaurant Standing last night before I went to bed. I'm addicted to the show, as with Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. So, in the dream, I was actually a part of the show, as the chef of one of the couples. I vividly remember discussing the menu and describing in detail some of the dishes I wanted to prepare. I woke up not too long after that thinking about the menu. Of course, it featured authentic Mexican dishes but presented in a modern way within the British background. It makes me laugh just thinking about it.

I've told Matt before that I would like to open a restaurant at some point in the future and give the Columbia folks a true Mexican treat. I love cooking for my friends and family and I've been thinking about how I can make the transition from home cook to commercial chef. Blanc's show has been quite enlightening in that regard. I assumed it's a tough transition, but the show has made it clear that I would require some serious training if I ever made that leap.

The second dream was an extension of the first. Almost like a continuation. I found myself going the catering route instead of becoming a restauranteur. Again, I discussed a similar menu and actually met with a potential client about everything.

Both dreams were very crazy but felt so real, I couldn't go back to sleep because my mind was going 100 mph over the menu and the little flavors each food item presented. Crazy. Maybe it's a hint of something to come. Or, it could just be that I got into the show. Who knows?

No comments: