Quote of the Day

Friday, November 9, 2007

Life happens

We're all familiar with the phrase "life is hard." In fact it is. Sometimes more than others, but in general, life has a tendency to throw you lemons. All that remains is how you respond and react. I firmly believe that if life weren't hard we wouldn't need God. People have a tendency to ignore God when things are good, but, when times are tough, really tough, it's all you can do to keep on. Our saving grace is falling on our knees and asking for grace and peace and comfort.

My mom just called, and she's at that place in her life. The month of October has been difficult for my family.

We almost lost my abuelita, and she was ready to go. She had a peace about where she was at and where things could go. You can't help but be in awe about it. After my abuelita recovered, praise God, we then had to deal with the wildfires.

By 'we' I mean my brother, Henry and his girlfriend, Vanessa. At one point, they were packed up and ready leave their apartment. The fire came within 200 feet of their place, but was pushed back by the hardworking firefighters. My brother admired them and praised them for the dedication and diligence they displayed.

More recently, just this past week, my tia (aunt) Maria Elena, my mom's older sister, was apparetnly knocked down by a group of skaters and suffered a head injury. She was taken to the emergency room because of hemorrhaging. My mom's heart broke as she saw her laying in the hospital bed, head swollen and tubes. My tia has lost a lot of weight too, being a single mom, trying to raise 3 boys, who are now men who could care less for her and her situation. They've basically run her ragged.

To hear my mom's heartbreak on the phone is, just plainly, hard. I want to just reach over and hold her and cry with her. But, all I can do is listen and pray that God will comfort her and my family.

We're going out there for Christmas in a few weeks. My heart is anxious and excited all at the same time. I really don't know what the trip will be like.

1 comment:

3 Beauties said...

Amen sister! God uses strange ways to bring us to him. I am still ducking the lemons. My heart hurts for you in your helpless position here in MO. I will keep your family in my prayers. Stay strong! You know I think you are amazing.