Quote of the Day

Monday, September 10, 2007

It has begun

Today marked the start of our 12-week fitness challenge. My husband and I are pretty competitive, and our best friends (Chris and Sarah) are the same. So, we decided to challenge our spouses and team up, guys vs. gals. The friendly banter has been fun, and I'm looking forward to kicking some testosterone tail.

We're getting our body fat measured tonight. We'll have a more precise measuring comparison than with weight. I remember being a size 5 and weighing nearly 150 pounds. Nothing but muscle baby. Ahh, the good ole' days.

I woke up early this morning and did a 20-minute high intensity interval bike ride. My plan over the course of the next 12 weeks is to do cardio in the morning and resistance training after work. I'm breaking down the strength training to certain body parts each day. So, today, after work, I'll be working the biceps and triceps. Tomorrow, shoulders and back, and so on.

Ironically, I'm really excited about my eating plan for duration of the challenge. I have my 2 favorite cookbooks in hand, Eating for Life and The South Beach Diet Cookbook. I plan on using the South Beach Diet plan until phase 3 where I will work in recipes from Eating for Life.

I'm wondering how my husband will do. He loves to workout, but hates to eat healthy. Rarely does a vegetable touch his plate. Unless, of course, you consider potatoes and corn veggies, which I don't. He'll eat green beans, and guacamole, but anything other than these things, he hates. For his health's sake and Chris', I hope he takes his diet seriously. He scoffed at me after lunch because he ate salad. It'll be an interesting 12 weeks. Indeed.

On a side note, we have a Bowflex Xtreme 2 that we absolutely love using. It is so convenient. I love being able to walk down the hall to workout as opposed to driving to the gym. Our little home gym will get used plenty these next 12 weeks.

No comments: